If you’re looking for a gym to train MMA in Newcastle & the North East, you have plenty of MMA gyms to choose from.
With so many MMA gyms in the North East to choose from, picking a gym can be challenging. So, to help, we have put together this article.
In this guide, we discuss the best MMA gyms in Newcastle & the North East of England and the factors you should consider when picking a gym.
Warrior STRENGTH S&C PROGRAM
Do you want to win your next fight, transform your body & unleash your potential as a martial artist?
We work exclusively with combat athletes to improve their performance, optimize their recovery time, and reduce stress during training.
SBG South Shields
SBG South Shields is one of the most established MMA gyms in the North East of England. The gym offers classes 7 days per week in several martial arts including, MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai and Wrestling.
The gym is home to a large amateur and professional fight team. SBG fighters regularly compete on the biggest promotions in the world including the UFC, Cage Warriors and Bellator.
What we like about SBG South Shields:
- SBG South Shields is one of the most established MMA gyms in the North East
- The gym offers an awesome program for MMA beginners
- SBG South Shields has a reputation for producing some of the best fighters in the UK
SBG welcomes people of all experience levels, from hobbyists to professional fighters. The gym offers a beginners program designed as an introduction to MMA for new students.
Check out SBG South Shields below.
Location: 10 North St, South Shields NE33 1HD
TFT is a full-time martial arts gym located in Seaham, 15 minutes South of Sunderland. Founded in 2008 by head coach Andrew Fisher, TFT has established itself as one of the leading MMA gyms in the North East.
TFT is open six days a week, with classes taking place during both the daytime and evenings. The gym offers classes in a variety of martial arts, including MMA, Boxing, BJJ, Kickboxing, Submission Grappling and Wrestling.
What we like about TFT MMA:
- TFT is one of the most established MMA gyms in the North East
- The gym offers classes in a variety of martial arts
- The gym has a strong team of amateur and professional fighters
TFT is home to a team of world-class fighters signed to premier MMA organisations around the globe, including the UFC, Bellator, KSW and Cage Warriors. The gym also has a large squad of amateur fighters who actively compete all year round.
TFT welcomes people ranging from complete beginners to world-class MMA fighters. The gym also offers kickboxing and grappling classes for children, teaching them martial arts in a safe and friendly environment.
Check out TFT MMA below.
Location: Strangford Road, Seaham SR7 8QE
Team Phoenix Martial Arts
Team Phoenix is a MMA gym located in Lime Street, Newcastle. The gym offers a variety of martial arts from around the world including, Muay Thai, Shoot Wrestling and Jeet Kune Do.
What we like about Team Phoenix Martial Arts:
- The gym is located in the centre of Newcastle
- Team Phoenix offers a variety of different martial arts from around the world
- They offer specific self-defence classes
Team Phoenix welcomes students of all experience levels and ages. The gym was founded to teach people martial arts and inspire them to live their best life.
Check out Team Phoenix Martial Arts below.
Location: 51A Lime St, NE1 2PQ
Newcastle Fight Centre / Itaipava MMA
Itaipava MMA is one of the best MMA gyms in Newcastle. The gym has a reputation for producing some of the best fighters in the UK and provides classes in multiple martial arts including MMA, K1 Kickboxing and BJJ.
What we like about Itaipava MMA:
- Itaipava MMA offers high-quality instruction
- The gym has a reputation for producing some of the best fighters in the UK
- Newcastle fight centre offers classes in a variety of martial arts
Newcastle Fight Centre is home to a squad of world-class fighters who fight for some of the best martial arts organisations in the UK. The gym also has a team of amateur fighters who actively compete in MMA, K1 and grappling competitions.
Check out Itaipava MMA on Facebook.
Location: Unit A4 Shieldfield Industrial Estate, NE2 1AH
The Dungeon BJJ & MMA Academy
The Dungeon is one of the most established BJJ and MMA academies in Sunderland. The gym offers classes in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Okinawan Boxing, No-Gi Grappling and MMA.
What we like about The Dungeon BJJ & MMA Academy:
- The dungeon offers both daytime & evening classes
- The gym offers a variety of martial arts including Okinawan Boxing
- Dungeon BJJ & MMA has a friendly & competitive atmosphere
Dungeon BJJ & MMA Academy has a strong fight team who regularly compete in MMA and grappling competitions throughout the UK.
Check out The Dungeon BJJ & MMA Academy below.
Location: 70-80 Castle View, Castletown
Roker Rough House MMA
Roker Rough House is a MMA gym located in Sunderland. The gym offers classes in a variety of martial arts including; Boxing, Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling and MMA.
What we like about Roker Rough House MMA:
- Roker Rough House offers classes in several different martial arts
- The gym has premium MMA facilities
- Roker Rough House has a team of fighters who regularly complete in MMA events
Roker Rough House welcomes students of all levels, from people trying to lose weight to professional martial artists.
Check out Roker Rough House MMA below.
Location: 2 Roker Ave, Monkwearmouth, SR6 0BY
MTK MMA Newcastle
MTK Global is a MMA & boxing management and events company founded by Daniel Kinahan and boxer Matthew Macklin in 2012. The company has several training facilities around the globe in locations such as Manchester, Newcastle and Marbella.
MTK gym in Newcastle offers classes in MMA, BJJ, Boxing and Kickboxing. The gym is home to a stable of fighters including, professional Boxers, MMA fighters, and a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu team.
What we like about MTK Newcastle:
- MTK is a premium MMA facility in Newcastle
- The gym welcomes both recreational & competitive fighters
- MTK offers classes in a variety of martial arts including MMA
MTK offers a combination of fitness classes, fighting classes and 1-2-1 training sessions. They also offer specific classes to teach children the skill and discipline of martial arts.
Check out MTK Newcastle below.
Location: 45-47 High St, Gateshead, NE10 9LT
ACE MMA South Shields
ACE MMA is a full-time martial arts facility located in South Shields. The gym offers a full timetable of martial arts from around the world including, MMA, Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
What we like about ACE MMA South Shields:
- ACE MMA offers classes in a variety of martial arts
- ACE MMA has a friendly & welcoming atmosphere
- The gym offers specific women and children’s classes
ACE MMA provides a friendly environment with professional coaches offering the highest level of martial arts training available. The gym welcomes fighters of all experience levels and ages, from complete beginners to competitive fighters.
ACE MMA also offers a specific children’s and women’s MMA program.
Check out ACE MMA South Shields below.
Location: 17 Boldon Ln, South Shields, NE33 4RD
The Lab MMA
The Lab is Darlington’s longest running Mixed Martial Arts gym. They offer a variety of classes including BJJ, MMA, Boxing, 1-2-1 training sessions and fitness classes.
What we like about The Lab MMA Gym:
- The gym has a friendly & competitive atmosphere
- The Lab offers specific classes for beginners & children
- The gym is Darlington’s longest-running MMA gym
The Lab MMA welcomes people of all ages and experience levels. The gym also offers specific classes for women and children.
Check out The Lab MMA Gym below.
Location: Lake Lands Estates Business Park, DL3 0PX
How To Pick A MMA Gym In Newcastle
With more and more MMA gyms opening up every year, picking the right gym can be challenging. Below, we discuss the factors to consider when choosing a MMA gym in Newcastle.
MMA Gym Location
Overlooked by most people, we believe the location of the MMA gym is one of the most important factors when picking a MMA gym in Newcastle.
There are several things to think about including:
- How long will it take you to get to training?
- How much does it cost to get to the gym?
- Is the gym located in the city centre?
- The distance for your home/work/school.
- What is the traffic like at rush hour?
We recommend picking a MMA gym within a 30-minute commute from your house. Before signing up to the gym make sure you are happy with the time it takes to get to training.
When picking a MMA gym, you must consider your experience level.
Experienced fighters should pick a gym that is full of competitive sparring fighters. To progress in MMA, you need to spar different people who are both better than you and of a similar skill set.
Alternatively, if you’re new to MMA, you should join a gym that offers a structured beginners program.
MMA gyms often specialise in different Martial Arts.
For example, some gyms are known as BJJ specialists, whilst other gyms focus more on striking.
This is usually down to the background of the MMA instructor. For example, if your MMA instructor comes from a Muay Thai background, they will put emphasis on striking techniques.
Similarly, if you have a background in a particular martial art, you will find transitioning to MMA easier if you join a gym that specializes in that discipline.
Gym Facilities & Size
There are benefits training at small and large-sized MMA gyms.
Larger MMA gyms will often have hundreds of students. Having more students means more training partners. Large MMA gyms usually have more classes scheduled per week.
In smaller MMA gyms, there is usually more of a personal feel of the gym. A smaller number of students usually means more 1-on-1 learning from your instructor.
Take A Trial Class
Most MMA gyms in Newcastle offer a free introductory class. We recommend trying a few different gyms before signing up anywhere.
Training MMA in Newcastle FAQs
Picking a MMA gym in Newcastle can be daunting. To help, we have put together this list of common FAQs.
How Long Until I Have My First MMA Fight?
One of the most common questions in a MMA gym is “How long until I have my first MMA fight?”.
Although every person progresses at their own pace, several factors determine when you should have your first fight.
These factors include:
- Your technical ability.
- Your fitness level.
- What weight class you are in.
- Your commitment to training.
- Your personal character (will you represent the gym well).
Ultimately, the decision is down to your instructor. They will be watching your progress during training and will decide when the time is right.
How Much Does It Cost To Train MMA in Newcastle?
The price of training MMA in Newcastle and the North East of England will vary depending on several factors.
- How many MMA classes are on offer per week.
- Who the MMA instructor is.
- The size & facilities of the MMA gym.
- Where the gym is located.
Although the cost of training MMA in Newcastle will vary, you should expect to pay between £60 – £100 per month for unlimited training.
Where Can I Watch MMA Fights In Newcastle?
There are regular martial arts shows in Newcastle and the North-East. Shows are often a combination of amateur, semi-pro and professional fighters.
Amateur events can also feature a combination of martial arts including, MMA, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Boxing.
What Equipment Do I Need For MMA?
After picking a MMA gym in Newcastle, you should consider buying your MMA equipment.
To help you prioritise we have broken the MMA equipment into three categories; protective & essential MMA gear, MMA clothing and general training equipment.
Protective & Essential MMA Gear
- MMA Mouthguard – Venum Challenger Mouthguard
- Headguard – RDX Headgear
- MMA Gloves – Venum Challenger MMA Gloves
- Boxing Gloves – Everlast Pro Style Training Gloves
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu GI – Sanabul Essentials BJJ Jiu-Jitsu Gi
- MMA Shorts – Sanabul MMA Shorts
- MMA Rash Guard – Elite Sports BJJ Rash Guard
General Training Equipment
- MMA Equipment Bag – Elite Sports Duffle Bag
- Skipping Rope – Plastic Speed Jump Rope
- Ankle Supports – Twins Special Ankle Guard Support
You should always buy the highest-quality equipment in your budget. Premium MMA equipment offers more protection and is more durable than cheaper alternatives.
What Does A MMA Class in Newcastle Consist of?
Although the format of MMA classes may vary depending on the gym, they tend to follow a similar format.
- MMA Specific Warm-up – Classes will start with a warm-up that consists of MMA specific drills and shadow boxing.
- Technical Training – After warming up, fighters will learn techniques and drill. This is usually a combination of pad-work, bag-work and partner drills.
- Sparring & Conditioning – Finally, experienced fighters will finish the class with sparring or situational drills.
How Can I Get Better At MMA Faster
Undoubtedly, the best way to get better at MMA is to turn up to class as much as possible. If you’re looking to learn more outside of class, we recommend checking out the instructionals below:
Our Favourite MMA Gloves
RDX is one of the fastest-growing MMA equipment brands in the world. RDX MMA gloves are high-quality, durable, and offer premium protection!
What MMA Gym In Newcastle & The North East Should You Pick?
Ultimately, when picking a MMA gym in Newcastle, it comes down to personal choice.
Picking the right gym can be challenging. When you are making your decision, we recommend considering the following factors:
- The location of the MMA gym in Newcastle
- Your MMA experience level
- The facilities & timetable on offer
- The price of the MMA gym
- Who the instructors are at the gym
The most important factor is that you enjoy your training and progress as a martial artist.
If you enjoyed our guide on MMA in Newcastle & the North East, share it by hitting the button below.